Animal Management Courses in Guildford, Surrey
Careers in animal management offer exciting possibilities and can be very rewarding... you could work in conservation or wildlife rehabilitation both in the UK or abroad!
We have a brand new Animal Management Centre designed to provide a state-of-the-art learning environment for students. This exciting new centre includes a desert room, a tropical room and a nocturnal room to house a wide variety of species and enable them to be studied and cared for in a more natural environment.
There are large collections of animals including rare breed sheep and cows, meerkats and red squirrels. The tutors are enthusiastic, passionate and knowledgeable with industry related experience and we have great connections with local organisations.
The programmes we provide will give you real, practical experiences, leading to excellent skills and good employment prospects. There could also be the opportunity to undertake exciting work experience placements such as Shamwari Game Reserve in South Africa contributing to conservation work and local community projects.
|Dog Grooming (Beginners) - 2017:18
|Dog Grooming (Beginners) - 2018:19
|Dog Grooming (Beginners) - Intensive - 2018:19
|Dog Grooming Assistants Level 2 Certificate (10 weeks) - 2017:18
|Dog Grooming Assistants Level 2 Certificate (10 weeks) - 2018:19
|Dog Grooming Assistants Level 2 Certificate (20 weeks) - 2018:19
|Dog Walking Level 2 Certificate - 2018:19
|Pampered Pooches - 2017:18
|Pampered Pooches - 2018:19
|Pet Sitting Level 2 Certificate - 2017:18
|Pet Sitting Level 2 Certificate - 2018:19
|Small Scale Farming Module 1 - 2018:19
|Small Scale Farming Module 2 - 2017:18
|Small Scale Farming Module 2 - 2018:19
|Zoo Keeper for a Day - 2017:18
|Zoo Keeper for a Day - 2018:19
Why Choose Merrist Wood College?
- A brand new Animal Management Unit
- Enthusiastic passionate, knowledgeable staff with industry related experience
- Small mammals, domestic animals, invertebrates, reptiles, amphibians, aquatics, small aviary birds and birds of prey
- Fully functioning farm with rare breed sheep and cows, pigs, goats, llamas, chickens and ducks
- Dog grooming centre open to the public
- Work experience opportunities - students have recently worked with chimpanzees in Cameroon, West Africa; dolphins in the Bahamas; Compassion in World Farming orang-utans in Borneo; wild otters in Cornwall; dog trainers and many others
- Industry links with local and national organisations such as Wolf Conservation UK, Chessington Zoo and Battersea Cats and Dogs Home
- Trips to places of interest and visits from specialist guest speakers
Jobs in Animal Management
- Animal Care Worker
- Veterinary Nurse
- Zoo Keeper
- Animal Trainer
- Wildlife Rescuer
- Welfare Officer
- Reserve Warden
- Animal Behaviourist
Day to Day in the Industry
- Feeding animals
- Cleaning and grooming animals
- Exercising dogs
- Calming frightened or distressed animals
- Rehabilitating animals
As an animal care worker, you could earn up to £13,000. Animal technicians start at around the same but could earn up to £30,000 in more qualified and experienced posts. Veterinary nurses can earn between £14,000 and £22,000 a year.
"The course is fun and well structured and the tutors can be strict, but only to help you get assignments done."
Oliver Peters, Animal Management Level 3