Arboriculture and Forestry Courses in Guildford, Surrey
A career in arboriculture can involve very diverse activities, with no two days the same! Our courses combine practical and theoretical principles in science, management, ecology, and the planning of tree and woodland care.
Our team of tutors have many years of experience working in the industry, and the College has been delivering arboriculture courses for fifty years. You will experience practical work on the College's estate with access to specialist machinery and industry standard equipment. You will learn how to safely use a chainsaw, climb, prune and dismantle trees, use brushwood chippers and stump grinders, and more.
Our former students now practise throughout the UK and across the world, including Hawaii, New Zealand, the USA, Canada and Australia. Job roles vary from undertaking inspections and surveys of individual and woodland trees, advising landowners on how to care for their trees, and teaching others about the benefits of carefully managing trees.
|Arboriculture Level 3 90 Credit Diploma - 2019:20
|Arboriculture Level 3 Extended Diploma - 2019:20
Why Choose Merrist Wood College?
- Celebration 50 years of teaching Arboriculture
- 400-acre estate including large woodland areas with a huge variety of tree and shrub species, ornamental grounds and plant nursery.
- Specialist machinery in outdoor, laboratory and workshop settings.
- Expert knowledge provided by our team of dedicated teaching staff.
- Field trips to sites of interest in the local area.
- Excellent work experience opportunities for all students.
- Industry links with local and national organisations such as The Arboricultural Association, Stihl, Gustharts and more.
- Undertake practical competence training in chainsaw use and maintenance and tree climbing.
Short Courses and Bespoke Courses
The following courses may be available, subject to demand:
- Chainsaw and climbing
- Tree Inspection
- Brushwood chipper training
- Stump grinder training
- Mobile elevated work platform training
- Powered pole pruner training
- Tree felling
- Tree pruning
- Tree dismantling
- Clearance saws
We offer a number of professional Arboriculture courses, validated by the Arboriculture Association or the Royal Forestry Society. Alternatively you could undertake a Degree Level Programme in Arboriculture, Land or Countryside Management at other educational institutions.
Careers in Arboriculture
- Tree Surgeon
- Tree Officer
- Tree Surveyor
- Arboriculture Consultant
- Arboriculture Contractor
- Grounds/Estates Operative
“My work experience has given me the confidence to try new things, and my course has given me the knowledge to talk to clients confidently and educate others about arboriculture.”
Georgi, Arboriculture Level 3